This is the first development blog of No Heroes. In these blogs, i share the development updates made to the game.
By following the Game Development Trello Board for No Heroes, you can see what’s been worked on and what’s left until the Early Access release: https://trello.com/b/mcKE6OVj/no-heroes-game-development-drunken-lizard-games
As high priority, i’m working on the most important features and fixing most important bugs to make the multiplayer game actually playable and as consistent as possible, making it good enough for the next video development update.
With that done, the game gains a solid base that i can work on for the rest of the features and improvements planned.
To start things off, here’s what has been worked on:
Scoreboard and match end/start
Until now, matches didn’t end and there wasn’t a scoreboard. To make the step to having functional matches and starting new matches, a scoreboard was implemented where each player has scores assigned to them which are also networked synced, so everyone can see the current state of the match.
The current game mode implemented is Deathmatch, so the scoreboard implemented is only for that game mode. This was implemented in a way that would be easy to implement for other modes. Here’s a WIP version of the scoreboard:
With the scoring system implemented, the server checks if a player wins every time the score is updated for a player, ending the match when a player wins. This triggers the ending of the game, with a slow transition to an ending screen with the scoreboard, and a timer to the next game. The server then sets the next game mode, map, etc, and starts the new match with correct state synchronization between all players.
Player AI Controller
To be able to easily test things locally on my pc, i decided to make a very simple AI controller by extending the player base to support AI controllers, where the server controls the AI automatically.
By using Unity’s Navmesh, it’s incredible easy to find a path between random points in the map, and making the player turn and walk/run through that path.
By making simple AI controllers, i can very easily test the player movement, animation, client/server side hit detection, etc. With this implemented, i was able to test and fix much faster the problems i was having with the remote player animation and movement.
Here’s how it was:
And how it is now:
The movement is still work in progress and will be improved to a much more realistic movement and animation in the future.
Scope sights improvement
For some reason, the quality of the scope was terrible, but really didn’t tried to fix it before. It was difficult to see things through the scope, so i fixed it.
Well, that’s it for this first development blog. These are some of the major things worked on, but there were also many smaller things and behind the scenes stuff worked on that can’t be put into this post.
Hope you like these small development blogs and thanks for the support!